Whether it’s a large deck for entertaining and relaxing or a small deck for a enjoying a coffee outside, a Brisbane timber deck is a thing of beauty and one of the best additions you can make as a homeowner.
As with any outside project, you’ll want to make sure your investment will add the greatest value to your home at a reasonable price, and to help you do this Outside Concepts has produced our best 5 tips. By following these tips, you’ll be making sure that your new Brisbane timber deck is the best in the street.
Brisbane timber deck tips
- One of the advantages of choosing a timber deck is the range of timbers you can choose from. So how do you choose the best timber for your home? One of the keys is to think about your location and home. If you live close to the sea, a light coloured timber can work particularly well, in a bush-setting a darker timber may work best (but remember to follow local laws if in a fire-prone region and considering a deck). Otherwise, look at the timbers you have in and outside your home. For example, if you have a rich coloured timber floor inside, choosing a rich timber like merbau for your new Brisbane timber deck is going to be a winner.
- Consider where you want your timber deck to be located. A current trend is to blend the inside and the outside and to achieve this you’ll want your deck off your living or dining area. However, if it’s more of an intimate, relaxing place you’re looking for, off a bedroom can be a great choice. You’ll also need to consider privacy, although this can be overcome with careful screening.
- Think about the size of deck you’ll need. A common mistake many people make is to build a timber deck that is too small, so that when their furniture and bbq is in place they have little space for people movement. To prevent this, if you’ll be using existing furniture, place it on the ground where you’ll be building the deck to ensure there’s plenty of space. If you’re buying new furniture, get the dimensions and mark the placement of the furniture on the ground to work out the best size for your deck.
- Check your local council for rules, regulations and approval processes you may need to follow. Every local government has different processes and while a timber deck may not need approval in one council area, in a neighbouring council area the same deck will. If your deck is raised, you may also need to know whether you need a balustrade around all or part of your deck. Again, every area can have different rules.
- Once your new timber deck is built, it’s not quite time to relax yet! Treating your new timber deck with oil, stain or paint will help to maintain its beauty. Exactly how you do this will depend on the timber you’ve chosen and your treatment. For example, a new merbau timber deck will have a tendency for what’s called tannin bleed, a substance that may stain other nearby surfaces. To prevent this there are commercial products to treat the timber. Our tip is to head off to your favourite hardware or paint store for expert advice on how to treat your new deck.
Outside Concepts can help you with every aspect of your new Brisbane timber deck. As our slogan says, “From concept to clean-up, you can rely on us”. To find out more about our timber decks, see the decks page on our website, view our Brisbane branch pages or give us a call on 1800 601 674.
From concept to clean up, you can rely on us. Give Outside Concepts a call on 1800 601 674 to organise a free quote.