The end of another long Melbourne winter might not seem like the best time to promote a verandah feature that will help keep you cool, but there is method to our madness and we promise we’ll explain before the end of this blog!
The cool feature is insulated roofing panels, which we’ve highlighted several times in our blogs. These panels are generally three products in one. A tough metal roofing sheet to provide protection from the elements, a thermally efficient insulated core and a ceiling underneath to provide an attractive, stylish finish.
Insulated roof verandah benefits
Insulated roof panels for verandahs – or in fact any outdoor structure – offer a range of benefits, including:
- The main benefit is the temperature control, which is provided by the thermal insulation in the core, which helps to regulate temperature under the verandah. They can keep the space cooler in the summer by reflecting heat away. They can also assist in in winter by retaining any heat that you produce under your verandah.
- Because they help maintain a comfortable temperature, insulated roof panels can reduce the need for heating and cooling, which can lead to energy savings and lower utility bills. Although, as highlighted above, you’ll still likely need to add some form of heating for Melbourne’s winter conditions.
- The upshot is that with greater temperature control, you can enjoy your verandah throughout the year, regardless of the weather. It becomes a comfortable space for relaxation, dining or entertaining that you can use more often.
- Insulated panels can also provide some degree of sound insulation. This can be particularly useful if your verandah is near a noisy street or neighbours.
- Insulated panels are robust and resistant to weathering. They also require minimal maintenance.
- Insulated roof panels come in various styles, colours and finishes, allowing you to choose a design that complements your home’s architecture and personal style.
- Compared to some roofing materials, insulated roof panels are quicker and easier to install. This can reduce installation costs, although it’s wise to point out that insulated roof panels will often cost you more to purchase.
- A well-designed and functional verandah with insulated roof panels can add value to your home.
Examples of Melbourne verandahs featuring insulated roof panels can be seen on this page. One of them was built by Kose and the team from Outside Concepts’ North Western & Western Melbourne branch. The verandah was finished off with downlights so the homeowners can enjoy their verandah for longer, even at night.
Organise your new Melbourne verandah now
If you want to have a new Melbourne verandah for the summer months ahead, it’s time to start planning. Why the urgency?
Outside Concepts can generally design and build new verandahs quickly. Most structures are built in less than a week and some smaller ones can be completed in a day or two. A very large verandah might take a couple of weeks or more, but that’s an extreme case.
The issue is that most Melbourne verandahs will need local planning approval and this can add significant time to the project. How much time will depend on your local council area, but expect at least a few weeks and in some cases a few months.
So call Outside Concepts today on 1800 601 674 to get the process rolling.
Life’s too short to compromise. Phone Outside Concepts on 1800 601 674 for a free quote.
A Melbourne verandah with an insulated roof is a great idea for both summer and winter.