A verandah is as Australian as a kangaroo or a meat pie (certainly more Aussie than a Holden!) and it may also be one of the most practical investments you can make to your home.
A verandah will give you years of use
A well-designed and built verandah will give you years of enjoyment and comfort. It can help to keep the sun off you and your furniture, and be a saviour on rainy days when you’ve run from the car and can’t find the keys to your house at the bottom of your bag! In addition, a well-designed verandah can help reduce heat inside your home.
A verandah will pay you back in spades
A verandah won’t just be practical for you, it will be beneficial for future owners of your home. This means that an Aussie verandah is an investment that will almost certainly pay for itself when you come to sell your home.
A new verandah? Here are our tips
Here are a few tips from Outside Concepts, if you’re considering building a new verandah for your home:
- Think carefully about your verandah’s aspect. A verandah located on the south of your home won’t get a lot of sun, while one built to the east or west will get morning or evening sun, respectively. A verandah on the north side of your home is perhaps the best option, if you have a choice, as it’s possible to block out the harsh summer sun while still letting the low winter sun in.
- Likewise, also consider prevailing winds and the direction of the rain.
- Consider how wide you want your verandah to be, particularly when considering the sun and wind. A narrow verandah may not provide adequate protection from the sun and rain, while a wide verandah will provide year-round protection from the elements.
- Think about what you want to use your verandah for. You’ll need a larger verandah if you want to use it as an entertainment area, while a small verandah may be perfect for a small table and chairs or a place for a bench seat.
- What type of materials do you want to use for your new verandah? A timber verandah can be stylish, while a metal one is low maintenance. Your decision may also depend on what materials are used in your home, particularly if you want to closely match your home’s style.
- Your budget will also play a big part. When it comes to budget, remember that Outside Concepts are experts at helping you get the most bang for your buck.
From concept to clean up, you can rely on us. Give Outside Concepts a call on 1800 601 674 to organise a free quote.