While many Australians have had to find space in their homes to work during the last two years, some smart people have gone a step further and created an outdoor office space. So, with no sign of the working from home phenomenon letting up, if you live in Melbourne how can you join them? Simply add a pergola.
The benefits of a home office in a pergola
The benefits of having a pergola where you can work from your Melbourne home are varied.
For a start, most of us can use more time outdoors. Fresh air and a little bit of sun is good for our minds, bodies and health. Having an office outdoors can also help you feel like you’re improving your work life balance, even if the amount of time you spend working doesn’t change. It might even make you more productive and efficient.
In addition, having a space outdoors where you can work will be an investment if you decide to sell in the future. Outdoor spaces where people can be productive, as well as entertain and relax, are fast becoming a real estate trend.
It’s also worth pointing out that in some cases, you might be able to write-off part of the cost of your new Melbourne pergola on your next tax return. It’s best to seek advice from your tax agent, to see if this applies to you.
Creating an outdoor office space in Melbourne
To be fair, creating an outdoor office space in your Melbourne backyard is likely to take more than just a pergola with a roof or a deck with shade provided by a tree. To make your outdoor area a space you’ll want to work in regularly, there are some things you’ll need to consider:
- If you don’t have electrical power in your pergola, you’ll need to get an electrician in. Don’t just get a single-outlet. You’ll need at least two points and possibly even more, depending on your power needs.
- You’ll need to have some form of cover, at the very least to shade you from the sun for most of the day. Generally, you’ll want to have a roof over your head so you don’t need to dash inside – while grabbing all your work equipment – at the first sign of rain. If you do need to build a new pergola and you don’t mind spending a little extra, a roof that partly or fully opens if well worth considering.
- You may want to add lighting, although if you generally only work during the day a portable light for occasional use may do the trick.
- If you really want to extend the use of your outdoor office, add cooling and/or heating to your pergola. In Melbourne you’ll likely need both, given our hot summers and cold winters.
- Make sure you have a good outdoor table that can double as a desk and a good chair.
Need a new Melbourne pergola? Ron Matz is the solution
If you need a new pergola for your Melbourne home, so you can create your outdoor office space, Ron Matz from Outside Concepts North Eastern branch can provide the solution.
Ron’s quality workmanship, quality materials, excellent project management and a focus on customer satisfaction set Ron apart from the competition. Add to this Outside Concepts focus on competitive pricing and our 10-year structural warranty, and it’s easy to see why Ron is the best choice if you live in areas such as Kew and the inner east, Templestowe and the north, or Ferntree Gully and the outer east.
Looking for a solution to your outdoor lifestyle? Call us now for a free quote on 1800 601 674.
Looking to set up an outdoor space for your Melbourne home office? Just add a pergola.