Ah, the summer holidays – an idyllic stretch of time when the days are longer and the sun is warmer. It’s a great time to be alive. And a great time to be spending more time in your Geelong patio.
Rather than just spending time in your patio, however, if you do have holidays there lies an opportunity to expend a bit of effort cleaning up. With a few hours and a little elbow grease, your patio will soon be ready for many more days of relaxation and entertainment as summer rolls on.
Patio and backyard chores to tick off
- If your Geelong patio features a timber deck, it’s a great time of the year to revitalise it. Begin by thoroughly cleaning the deck, ideally using a commercial deck cleaner coupled with a high-pressure sprayer. Once dry, apply a quality oil using a brush or decking applicator. For optimal results, allow it to dry before adding a second coat.
- While wielding the high-pressure sprayer or hose, take the opportunity to give your patio area a comprehensive clean. Although some areas may benefit from a bit of elbow grease, the sprayer or a hose set as its highest pressure excels at banishing surface grime, dust and cobwebs.
- Prune back any trees or shrubs in proximity to your patio and house to prevent them from brushing against the structures during strong winds.
- Give your Geelong patio a thorough inspection. This includes a closer look at all the supporting structure. Address areas where paint has flaked, blistered, peeled or begun to show signs of wear. Touch up these spots or consider a repaint to maintain your home’s aesthetics and protect against weathering.
- As for the roof, climb up if you’re able and confident, to spot any issues with your roofing material. Again, address any issues like tiles that have moved or roofing sheets that have started lifting.
- Another important job is to clear out leaves and debris that have accumulated in your gutters and downpipes of our Geelong patio and the entire house. This simple task prevents blockages and ensures proper drainage.
- Embrace the DIY spirit, but know your boundaries. While handling tasks yourself can save money and bring satisfaction, acknowledge when a job exceeds your expertise. Calling in professionals for complex or risky tasks ensures the job is done right.
- Give your outdoor furniture and barbecue a good clean.
- Tidy up the garden areas surrounding your patio to create a more welcoming environment. This can include pulling up weeds, topping up mulch, pruning and giving you lawn a trim. When mowing the lawn, don’t forget to raise the mower’s height higher for summer, to give your lawn better protection against the scorching heat and to keep it in better shape.
Plan a new Geelong patio for your home
While summer holidays are a great time to maintain your patio and the surrounding area, it’s also an excellent time to plan for a new Geelong patio if you need one.
Browse magazines, search online and walk around looking at patios in your area to get some ideas of what you like. Then call Outside Concepts on 1800 601 674.
We’ll introduce you to Geelong branch manager Jaan McKenzie, a Geelong local who has significant experience in designing and building patios and other outdoor structures. Jaan will make your patio project a stress-free one. You’ll be relaxing and entertaining in your new patio before you know it!
Outside Concepts builds great things. Call now for a free Quote 1800 601 674.
If you’re lucky enough to have holidays this summer, it’s a great time to undertake important maintenance work on your Geelong patio.