If you’re looking to get a new pergola for your Sydney home, if you’re like most people you want it sooner rather than later. With summer just around the corner and the multitude of entertainment and relaxation opportunities a pergola would provide, who would blame you.
However, there’s one thing that could stand in your way. The dreaded council approval.
In this blog, we’ll look at whether you need council approval for building a new Sydney pergola and some of the things you need to keep in mind.
Do I need council approval for my Sydney pergola?
Whether you need council approval for a new pergola depends on several factors. These include the size, height, materials used and where on your block it will be located, particularly in relation to neighbouring properties. The NSW Government has a good summary on its Department of Planning and Environment portal.
It can also depend on where you live and individual council requirements. For example, rules and regulations in council areas where our Lane Cove Branch operates, may be different from where our Sydney North Branch operates. Heritage overlays can further complicate this.
Even if you don’t need council approval, you’re not out of the woods yet. You still need to adhere to relevant codes and regulations set out by the Department of Planning and Environment.
Here are some key things to keep in mind:
- The design and specifications of your pergola will influence the planning process. As highlighted above, factors such as size, height, location and materials used can impact whether a permit is required.
- If you’re building the pergola yourself, you still need to get planning approval (if required) and follow relevant codes and regulations. This can include providing necessary documents, including plans and engineering drawings, which can be time-consuming. Hiring professionals – like our pergola builders at Outside Concepts Lane Cove – can make the process much easier.
- If you do need to seek council approval it will add a lot of time to your project, possibly months. This time can be lengthened if you can’t immediately supply all the documentation and plans required or the what you supply isn’t suitable.
- Keep in mind that obtaining a permit may involve fees, which can also vary. Be sure to budget for these costs.
- It’s crucial to ensure that your Sydney pergola design and construction adhere to all regulations and guidelines. This isn’t unnecessary red tape. It’s for your safety and the safety of your family and neighbours.
Contact the Sydney pergola experts
Obtaining a building permit and meeting all relevant codes and regulations for a new pergola in Sydney can be complex and time-consuming. But not when you get your pergola designed and built by Outside Concepts.
We can look after the red tape for you, saving you time, money and hassles.
Of course, it goes without saying that we’ll follow all codes and regulations. You can be sure that your pergola will withstand the elements and stand the test of time. It’s why we’re able to offer a 10-year structural guarantee.
Give Outside Concepts a call on 1800 601 674 to organise Oliver from our Lane Cove Branch to get in touch. You can also visit the Lane Cove page and submit a contact form.
Life’s too short to compromise. Phone Outside Concepts on 1800 601 674 for a free quote.
If you’re looking to get a new pergola for your Sydney home, there’s one thing that could stand in your way. But not if you use Outside Concepts.