Even outdoor living area die-hards would have struggled to leave the sanctuary and comfort of the lounge room to venture outdoors in recent days. With strong winds and cold conditions hitting much of the southern and eastern parts of Australia, the weather certainly hasn’t enticed many people to fire up the BBQ and relax or entertain outdoors.
While we can take shelter inside during inclement weather, your patio, verandah or pergola has to withstand everything that mother nature throws at it. So, when the weather does improve, here are some things you should do to ensure your outdoor living area will survive a storm.
Outdoor living area survival tips
- Make sure your roof is in good condition by inspecting it thoroughly. A dislodged tile will let rain in, while a roofing sheet that’s not tightly secured can potentially blow off in a storm.
- Clean the gutters on your outdoor living area to ensure your gutters and downpipes can do the job they were designed to do. While a little water isn’t likely to hurt most structures, if you have a ceiling or lighting, for example, it can cause issues that will take time and money to fix.
- Store lighter items that may blow away in strong winds, such as outdoor furniture cushions, in a garage or other area.
- Do you have any large trees in your yard or in a next door neighbour’s yard that could become a hazard in a storm? Branches that fall from a height can cause significant damage to roofs and a regular trim is a good idea. If you can’t do the job yourself – and for larger trees you generally shouldn’t – get a professional tree lopper in to help.
- Small branches can also cause damage over time, if they scrape and bang against your outdoor living area. Prune back branches to give plenty of space and avoid this from occurring.
- It’s also a good idea to give your entire outdoor living area structure a good inspection now and again, to look for any issues. If you’re unsure what issues to look for – or you’re concerned that your outdoor living area wasn’t designed or built correctly – get a professional in to do an inspection for peace of mind.
Outside Concepts builds great things. Call now for a free quote 1800 601 674.