Put another shrimp on the outdoor living barbie
December 24, 2018 | Outdoor living | 0 comments
| Author: Paul Hurkmans
Don’t get us wrong, there’s nothing incorrect with enjoying a simple sausage or a steak on the bbq in your outdoor living area, but if you want to spend more time outside, particularly in the warmer months, it’s time to get a little more adventurous with your culinary skills. And we don’t just mean whacking a shrimp (or prawn!) on the barbie!
Cooking in your outdoor living area
- You’ve heard of one-pot dishes, but how about getting your protein and veggies in one delicious package? Yes, that’s right, we are talking about skewers. Whether you buy them pre-made or do it yourself, a skewer with chicken, beef, pork, or other meat or fish, combined with vegetables such as capsicum and zucchini are not just delicious they’re also good for you. Add pineapple as well and you’ll have three food groups covered!
- If there’s one vegetable that was made to be cooked on the bbq it’s corn. A cob of corn cooked until charred is delicious on its own, but a little seasoning (e.g. salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne) and some butter will take it to the next level.
- Cook a roast on the bbq. Once you get the roast going it will virtually look after itself, but you can say that you’ve got to keep an eye on it if you’re looking for an excuse to spend even longer in your outdoor living area. We won’t tell anyone!
- Baking a whole fish on the bbq is not just impressive, it can taste a whole lot better than cooking it inside due to the smoke that’s created. Snapper and trout, for example, are good options, but ask your friendly fish monger for your best local choices. A simple method for cooking whole fish is to cut 1cm deep slashes through the flesh on both sides before rubbing oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper all over. Pop a cut lemon in the cavity then put directly on the grill or wrap in foil.
- On the weekend, when you have time, there’s perhaps nothing better than a bbq breakfast in your outdoor living area. Bacon, eggs, mushroom, sausages, tomatoes, bread and more can be cooked on the bbq. You might just need to duck inside to fill your champagne glass!
If you’re considering a new outdoor living area – whether it be a patio, pergola or verandah, give Outside Concepts a call. We provide a free consultation, design and quote process. We can also design an amazing outdoor kitchen for your outdoor living area… You may never go inside to cook again!
Looking for a solution to your outdoor lifestyle? Call us now for a free quote on 1800 601 674.