You may have one of the best outdoor living area in your street and suburb (and if it was built by Outside Concepts you probably do!), but if you don’t have good outdoor furniture it won’t see much use in the coming warmer months. So, with spring here and better weather approaching, it’s time to get outside to maintain your precious outdoor furniture.
Maintaining outdoor furniture
It might seem like somewhat of a contradiction, but the outside elements can be unkind to outdoor furniture. Harsh sun, rain, wind, hail, debris and bird poo can affect any outdoor furniture, which is why some regular tender loving care is required.
The maintenance required will depend on the materials used in your outdoor furniture, but here are some general tips:
- Use a mild soap and warm water to give all solid surfaces a good clean. If you’re unsure what to use, a simple homemade solution of a small amount of dishwashing liquid, vinegar and water will do. For timber outdoor furniture, commercial timber cleaners are available and will be the most effective in removing grime. Wash down with liberal quantities of water.
- In between washes, regularly wipe outdoor furniture with a wet rag or sponge, and use a soft brush to remove any debris.
- If you have non-painted timber outdoor furniture, applying protection annually will keep your furniture looking its best for many years to come. To do this, give it a light sand if required, a good clean (a commercial timber cleaner works best) and then apply a fresh coat of protective finish. Use whatever finish you used when the furniture was new or, if in doubt, sandpaper and clean well and then choose an oil, stain or polyurethane coating.
- For cushions, pillows and outdoor fabrics, vacuum or lightly brush to remove dust and other debris. Providing the fabric is specifically designed for outdoor use, give it a clean with a fabric cleaner or the homemade solution described above should do the trick. Then rinse thoroughly. It’s also worth highlighting that it’s a good idea to stow away cushions and pillows if possible between use. Not only will this help protect them from the elements, it will stop them from blowing away in strong winds.
- If you have an umbrella, outdoor blinds or awnings, give these a clean regularly as well. We produced a feature post on how to clean outdoor blinds and awnings earlier this year, so take a look at this content for guidance.
What if you have great outdoor furniture that’s in good condition but nowhere to put it? Give Outside Concepts a call on 1800 601 674. We can build a patio, verandah, pergola or deck to house your outdoor furniture and provide a space to entertain and relax.
Looking for a solution to your outdoor lifestyle? Call us now for a free quote on 1800 601 674.