With what could possibly be the hottest week of the summer forecast in Adelaide (now officially the hottest capital city in Australia after recording 46.6 in January), you could be forgiven for heading indoors to the sanctuary of air conditioning. However, thankfully, more comfortable temperatures are on the way, which is why you should start planning for a new Adelaide patio for your home.
Why build a new patio for your Adelaide home?
- Firstly, patios make excellent, usable living space and provide the blend of the indoors and outdoors that is so popular these days. Yes, it’s outdoors, so there may be extreme days when your Adelaide patio isn’t the most comfortable place to be (although there are ways of helping – see below), but for much of the year a patio is a terrific place to relax and entertain.
- An Adelaide patio will add value to your home. While exactly how much is dependent on a range of factors, a recent article in domain.com.au claims it’s possible for the figure to be up to $100,000 in added value.
- No doubt, even the best Adelaide patio is going to feel a little sticky on a 46.6 degree day. However, there are things you can do to reduce the heat in your patio. For example, you could consider installing outdoor blinds to reduce the direct sun and hot winds. Plus, other items, such as electric fans, evaporative coolers and misting system will help you keep your cool.
- It may be hot now, but in a few months the weather will be cool. Again, there is plenty you can do to make your new Adelaide patio more comfortable in cold conditions. Outdoor blinds will again help, by keeping cool winds and rain out, as can heaters, whether they be gas, electric or fuel, simple and cheap, or elaborate and expensive.
- Lastly, and we think most importantly, Adelaide has access to some of the best designers and builders of patios in the country. Outside Concepts has four branches in and around Adelaide (Eastern, Marion, North East and Southern) and all have the experience and local knowledge to support you throughout the entire patio process.
Key decisions for your new Adelaide patio
If the above points have convinced you to build a new patio for your Adelaide home, there are a few key decisions you need to make.
Perhaps the most important is where to locate your new patio. For most people, the best place will be off the indoor living area. This is a practical location and will blur the lines between outside and inside. If you don’t want to locate your new Adelaide patio off your indoor living area, or it’s not practical, other popular places are directly off your kitchen or the main bedroom. The latter can be an excellent choice if you’re looking for a private patio.
Next, consider the design and style of your new patio. This is an area that stumps most people, but it can be as easy as looking at your house and matching the style and design that it encompasses. Another option is to use a patio design that will complement, rather than match your house. This can be a little trickier and riskier, but when done well can make a patio really stand out.
Then, decide on the materials that you will use. If you’re trying to match the design of your home, you should also try to match the materials as best as possible. If you’re looking for the complementary look, you have more choice, with timber, steel, aluminium, polycarbonate, tiles and more all possibilities.
Lastly, make sure you get the right support. This is the easiest decision, because, as mentioned above, Outside Concepts has branches right across Adelaide and can help you throughout the entire process. Decision made!
Find out about Outside Concepts’ 10-year structural warranty. Call us on 1800 601 674.