When most of us are considering building a new patio for our Sydney homes, we’re thinking about the relaxation and entertainment opportunities that the outdoor space will provide. But not everyone. There’s a large group of people who value their pets almost as much as their friends and family, and this post is for them!
In this blog, we’ll look at ways of creating a pet-friendly Sydney patio. A patio that will keep your pets safe and happy while you’re not home.
A Sydney patio for our furry friends
According to the RSPCA, there are around 29 million pets in Australia, making us one of the world leaders in pet ownership. While some of these pets are creatures like fish, tortoises, frogs and guinea pigs, a large percentage are dogs and cats.
Creating a pet-friendly Sydney patio is not just about providing a comfortable space for your furry companions, it’s also about ensuring the outdoor area remains safe. Here are some creative and practical pet-friendly patio ideas to transform your outdoor space into a haven for your four-legged friends:
- We love to relax in our patios and so too will your dogs and cats if you provide pet-friendly furniture that is both comfortable and durable. Consider pet-friendly cushions or beds that are resistant to stains, will withstand the elements and are easy to clean.
- A Sydney patio without shade will be uncomfortable on hot or rainy days. Just like humans, pets appreciate a shaded spot to escape the sun and rain. If your patio doesn’t have a roof, create designated shaded areas with umbrellas, canopies or even strategically placed potted plants.
- A green oasis around your Sydney patio will make it inviting for all, but don’t forget to only use pet-friendly plants. Some plants can be toxic for pets. Herbs such as basil, rosemary and mint can be excellent choices, as animals love to sniff and even munch on them.
- One of the most important things you will need to do is to secure boundaries to prevent pets from wandering off. Use pet-friendly fencing or consider incorporating decorative barriers around your patio that both enhance the aesthetics of your outdoor area and keep your pets safe.
- If you’re away for lengthy periods during the day, keep your pets entertained by incorporating interactive elements into your patio design. Consider installing pet-friendly water features, such as a small fountain or a pet-safe pond, to provide a source of entertainment and refreshment for your pets. Other ideas include obstacles like ramps, tunnels and hurdles. A selection of toys is always a great idea, plus don’t forget frozen treats that can keep your pets occupied and stimulated.
- Make sure your pet always has access to water while outside. Weather-resistant pet bowls that can’t be tipped over are a must.
- If your Sydney patio is large, you may want to dedicate a cosy corner or nook on your patio where your pets can have their own retreats. Add comfortable bedding, pet-friendly toys and perhaps a small shelter or pet house where they can feel secure and relaxed.
- If the floor of your Sydney patio gets hot when in the sun, add a weather-resistant rug, artificial grass or other comfortable surface for your pet to walk on.
Need a new Sydney patio? Outside Concepts has the answers
Whether you need a new Sydney patio for yourself or your four-legged friends, Outside Concepts can provide the solution. We specialise in customised patios – as well as carports, verandahs, pergolas and decks – and can design and build a patio that will perfectly suit your needs and your home.
If you live in the northern parts of Sydney, the person to contact is Brett Nitschke at our Sydney North Branch. Phone us on 1800 601 674 or submit a contact form on Brett’s page.
We’ll organise a time to visit you to discuss your needs. Furry friends are optional but welcome!
Life’s too short to compromise. Phone Outside Concepts on 1800 601 674 for a free quote.
Want to create a Sydney patio that’s as perfect for your furry friends as it is for you? See our tips.