If you’re considering building a new carport for your Melbourne property, one of the most crucial decisions is deciding on the best location. There are essentially three main choices: a carport in the front of the house, a carport alongside the home, and a carport to the rear. Making the right decision is important, not only for convenience and functionality, but also for aesthetics.
The key factors to consider when selecting the ideal location for your new carport
Here are some key factors to keep in mind when considering where best to location your carport – front of your house, alongside, or to the rear:
- Accessibility is a key consideration, particularly when you have a week’s worth of groceries to take from your car. Your new Melbourne carport needs to be conveniently located for easy access to your home and your vehicles.
- You might like to put your carport wherever you want, but in some council areas you might be restricted. This can particularly dictate how close you can build your carport in proximity to fences or the front of your property. Always check your council’s rules early in the planning.
- It’s not something most people think about, but the weather should be considered when deciding where to place your carport. Look at, for example, the path of the sun in summer so that your cars won’t bake in solar heat on hot days. Also consider prevailing winds, so that your cars will be better protected from the rain on windy days.
- If your block slopes, this will be another important consideration. A carport can be built on ground that is not level, but it’s better and more cost effective not to build on slopes.
- Irrespective of your council’s regulations, you should consider your neighbours. If you block their view or infringe on their privacy, for example, you might just create an unnecessary and messy dispute.
- Lastly, but possibly most importantly, is aesthetics. One of the great things about carports – or at least a customised carport built by Outside Concepts – is they can add tremendous visual appeal to your home. A well placed carport will add style as well as value.
A front of house carport is often the best solution
As we mentioned in the introduction, there are essentially three main places you can locate your Melbourne carport. At the front of the house, alongside, or at the rear.
Most people, however, choose the front of the house. Generally, because this provides them with convenient access to their front doors. It also lifts the visual appeal of their homes.
If you have a side door, a carport alongside your home can be ideal. Carports built at the rear of the house are less common, but if this suits you because of access or the other reasons highlighted above, then a rear carport can make sense. You may need to be mindful of safety, however, particularly if you have younger children or dogs.
Note: If live in the north eastern suburbs of Melbourne and you’re looking to build a new carport, contact Ron Matz. He’s the owner of our North Eastern Branch and can provide all the advice you need to ensure your new carport is stylish and practical.
Life’s too short to compromise. Phone Outside Concepts on 1800 601 674 for a free quote.
Most people choose the front of the house, but where should you locate your new Melbourne carport?