When it comes to designing the perfect Adelaide pergola for your outdoor space, the choice of roof is a critical element. The roof for your outdoor living area not only provides shelter but also contributes significantly to the overall aesthetics.
Years ago, when it came to roof choices, it was mostly a decision between tiles, Colorbond and polycarbonate, but in recent years the choice has expanded. Here are some pergola roof ideas to inspire you.
8 pergola roof ideas
- The first option is not a roof idea at all. It’s a pergola with no roof. In fact, this was the way traditional pergolas were first built. They were essentially supporting posts with overhead beams. Often, a deciduous vine climbed over the pergola to provide shade in summer and let winter sun shine through.
- Probably the most popular option for a pergola roof is using Colorbond sheets. Cost effective, durable, strong and coming in a range of colours, it’s easy to see why Colorbond is one of the most popular outdoor structure roofing ideas.
- Polycarbonate sheets are lightweight, durable and offer excellent protection from the elements. They come in various tints and can be clear or opaque, providing options for controlling the amount of sunlight filtering through. Polycarbonate – or mixing polycarbonate with Colorbond – is a great option in lower-light situations. These days polycarbonate is also available in sheets that provide a traditional glass look.
- Roofing tiles are on a lot of Australian homes and they’re a popular idea for pergola roofs. Tiles do cost a little extra as the supporting structure needs to be stronger, but it’s a great choice if your home also has a tiled roof.
- An extendable awing can provide enormous flexibility. Extend it when the sun is beating down or it’s raining. Retract it when the weather allows.
- A louvered roof system – or a roof that features slats that can be opened and closed – also provides flexibility. Like the extendable awning, you control how much cover you do or don’t have. With a louvered roof system you can adjust the angle of the slats to control sunlight and ventilation.
- For those looking for a modern and energy-efficient option, consider a pergola roof using insulated panels. This choice makes your outdoor space warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
- If you’re environmentally conscious you could consider adding solar panels to your pergola roof. These can be integrated with many of the options mentioned above. You’ll not only be doing your bit for the environment, but you’ll also cut down on energy bills.
Outside Concepts Adelaide can help with roof ideas
When selecting the perfect pergola roof for you Adelaide home, consider factors such as your climate, desired level of maintenance, aesthetic preferences, budget and the overall atmosphere you want to create in your outdoor space. With these pergola roof ideas, you can tailor your pergola to suit your lifestyle and elevate your outdoor living experience.
Here’s another way to ensure you get the pergola you want in Adelaide – contact Outside Concept’s Southern Branch. Designing and installing customised pergolas is something branch manager Craig Arthur specialises in. With nearly 30-years’ experience in the home improvement industry, he can build a new pergola for you that will satisfy your exact needs.
Phone Outside Concepts on 1800 601 674 or submit the contact form on Craig’s page and he’ll organise a convenient time to discuss your project.
Life’s too short to compromise. Phone Outside Concepts on 1800 601 674 for a free quote.
Want some pergola roof ideas for your Adelaide home? You’ve come to the right place.